Friday, August 24, 2012

The Museum In My Pocket

This is a story that I meant to post last Friday, but time got away from me. Last week, I went to Marzipan near my Ulpan after a difficult day (I mentioned before that half the time in Ulpan is self study and half is with the teacher. During one of the half hours I was supposed to learn some new words and for what ever reason my brain refused to absorb them). As I was paying, I handed the guy behind the counter a 10 agurot coin. He looks at the coin, then at me and says, "Where did you get this?" I explained that before I came to Israel I went around my parents house to find all the Israeli money that had been brought back from various trips. Then he laughs, holds up the coin and says, "this is very nice but you cannot pay with it."
"What", I said.
He told me that the coin has been out of circulation since 1986.
I paid with real money, went home, and googled Sheckel coins in circulation. Sure enough, the coin had not been legal tender since 1986. So of course I looked at all of the coins I brought with me. Almost all of the very small denomination coins (5 and 10 agurot), were completely useless. These coins only amounted to about 3 dollars, but they are heavy and I brought them all the way from America! The question is, what should I do with them now? 

No comments:

Post a Comment