Friday, August 3, 2012

So time travel is possible...

   I just arrived yesterday and it feels like I have been here for about a week already. I have already gotten lost while trying to find a place to at dinner with my new roommate (RM). We ended up at Tal Bagels on Emek. Before going inside I said, "Tal is a New York bagel place, it will be a taste of home!". RM said, "you have only been here for like 5 minutes!" We went inside and who do I see, but two people from JTS.

I already found my bank, pharmacy, grocery store, and Marzipan off of Emek (this took a little detective work).

 To give you an idea of my journey to Israel:

   A few hours before my flight I checked the status and it said the flight was delayed enough that I would miss my connecting flight at Heathrow. I was able to change to an earlier flight, but could not switch to the vegetarian meal (I never order the Kosher meal when I fly, most of the time it is meat) because it was too close to the flight. We left the house at 2:20 first to pick my sister up from camp, then to pick up my father at 125th St. in NYC. We got the the airport at 5 PM for my 6:50 flight. Luckily, I was still 20 minuets early because the terminal is small. The first flight was uneventful, I watched part of Juile and Julia and tried to sleep. 

   Heathrow Airport is one of the most beautiful airports I have ever seen, even nicer then Ben Gurion! Still I had trouble there as well. When you have a connecting flight, you need to go through security again. Before security you show a british version of a TSA agent your ticket and they make sure you are in the right terminal. This a very good thing because had I gone right to my next flight, I would have found that I was taken off of it. Long story short, after 20 minutes I was back on the flight and I set of to spend the one pound I had in my Wallet, which is not that hard to do. The airport was deserted, at least it seemed that way because the international terminal was huge compared to the British Airways terminal at JFK. The second flight had several young children on it, including one old enough to kick my seat, but not old enough to understand proper airplane etiquette. This was fine because I spent about 1/4 of the flight standing. 

   It took about 5 seconds for me to get though customs at the airport, both my suitcases made it with me despite the removal from my second flight. I hopped on a Sherut (shared taxi) bound for Jerusalem and got a mini tour of my neighborhood. When I had trouble finding the apartment someone from the next building helped me find it and helped bring my bags.      

       

No comments:

Post a Comment